Monday, November 9, 2009

I want to HIT something!@#^&!!!

Ok. So here's what happened. Yesterday, a bunch of us were supposed to meet up and play football. I was pretty excited about this, since I'd been itching to do something active outdoors all weekend. So we get there, and we're waiting for about half of our group to show up, and there's these other guys there that look real athletic and competitive. So Mark and a couple of guys that were there start a 4-on-4 game with these guys that we don't know. Obviously, I'm not stupid enough to want to play football with a bunch of big competitive guys that I don't know. So, basically, that leaves me standing on the sidelines watching these boys take themselves too seriously for the next hour and a half. I was not happy. And, to Mark's credit, he did come over and ask if we wanted to leave and do something else... I said no, I just didn't want to play with a bunch of guys I don't know. He came over again and asked if we were having fun. I said no -.- (I was pretty darn annoyed by this time) But what was I supposed to do? Insist that he quit his game which it looked like he was enjoying because I was upset that he wasn't playing with me? I didn't want to be that girl. So basically, I just brooded. (I know, much better, right? I wasn't doing a very good job of "being patient with each other, and being joyful always") I was irritated because I wanted to play, I was part of the original plan, and Mark was playing without me. And also because, he knew I was upset, and not having a good time. I left it his choice if he wanted to stay but I mean, I don't want to have to ask to leave. I don't want to be the one to ruin someone else's fun. Besides, I didn't want to leave. I wanted those other guys to leave -.-

Anyway. Eventually they did leave, and the rest of us finally got to play. Only by that time half the boys were tired and whatnot from playing competitively... and even if they weren't it was dumb because they "wouldn't tackle a girl"
honestly then, what's the point? I don't have any interest in playing gentle football. Especially when I'm mad. So that game didn't last very long, and we went home.

...Of course when we got home there was that fun conversation for me and Mark to have. He felt bad because supposedly he ruined all my fun, and he offered to do something else and I didn't say that I wanted to do something else. And I felt bad because it really wasn't his fault, but I'm not going to insist on having my way when I'm upset. I will be honest, and tell you I'm not having fun (like I did) and hope that you'll do something about it.. But I'm not going to ask you to stop what you're doing if you're enjoying yourself (which I thought he was) just because I'm not. So I didn't know what else to do. And, neither did he. He knew that I was upset, but I guess neither of us knew what to do about it. I don't think either of us do still. I still feel just as incapable of plainly stating what I want, and I don't think he understands that asking me to say what I want doesn't make it any easier to say what I want if I feel like it's something selfish. If he were to say that HE would like to do something else that I can play too or start another game of football, rather than ask if I wanted to because I wasn't having fun, it would have been different. Does that even make any sense at all?

So we talked about all this, and it was all rather miserable until he simply said "You're more important than some stupid game, and I care about you way more than I care about those guys.If I ask you if you want to do something, it's because I either want to, or don't care either way. I'm not going to ask you just because I feel bad. Next time, can you please just tell me the truth?" (that's a paraphrase, not that it much matters. This response I approved of very much. As far as next time.. we'll see how that goes :/) And then he stood up and threw the football to me. I, somewhat confused, threw it back. He threw it to me again and when I went to throw it back he said, "What are you doing? Try to run it in."
We then proceeded to play 1-on-1 football (an interesting cross between football and basketball) across his front yard for the next half hour or so :D. I lost, despite my ferocious efforts :p but I've got bruises all over and various stiff muscles and aching limbs as a reward. lol. I know, I found a good one, right? I mean.. I think so.... :)

1 comment:

A poor white middle class soul said...

That's a general rule with guys, Bekah. Say what you mean and mean what you say. The art of listening for the unsaid is not widely practiced among the world of men.
He does sound like a keeper.

And yep, I kinda wanna read more Harry Potter too. I just spent a saturday tearing into it. I also used to read a much harder and complex book series that has come out with some new books, but 13-ish books 500-1,000 pages long is more than I really wanna tackle now.