Thursday, September 18, 2008

my other grandpappies

so i'm just chillin at school in-between classes... i'll be doing homework in a bit, but to prolong my procrastination i thought i'd do a little blogging

i would love to share the aforementioned (in the previous post) set of lyrics i'm working on... i rather like them... but as of yet i've only got a first verse and prechorus. soooo i'm gonna use a verse of the day that's not from me. two actually, from two of my favorite people :)
i guess most people don't listen to/watch teachings in their free time, but that's their loss i guess. i like to, to strengthen my beliefs, open my eyes to things that i didn't see myself, and they always send me back to the Word, a) to see for myself, test and approve God's good and perfect will, and b) to dig in deeper myself on a given subject. it's awesome to be able to learn from other people's expreience and relationship with God and use that to my advantage and build on it in my own life, rather than reinvent the wheel, so to speak. that's how we get a growing generation :D
ANYWAY. that was an unintended tangent. on to a couple of quotes from two of my favorite teacher/preachers. these men are like my spiritual grandfathers that i've never met. lol. jon laughed at me when i told him that but they really are. i've learned so much from them and have developed a trust in the things that they speak (that is not to say that i don't always test their word against the bible anyway) that they've become like spiritual mentors.. grandfathers.. to me. a little blurb about my spiritual mentors.. there's cassie, my spiritual and biological big sister. there's pastor chris and lisa... pastor chris is really more like the big brother who's like a father than an actual father but just the same i tend to acknowledge him as my spiritual father, and lisa likewise only on the female side. lol. and then theres kenneth and gloria copeland, my oblivious grandparents, and jesse duplantis my hilarious and wise at the same time good time of an other oblivious granddaddy.
ok. heres the quotes [finally]

"Christianity is not a religion. There's been all kinds of religions made from it, but Christianity is God and His family. It is reality." -Kenneth Copeland

i've heard it said so many times, "Christianity is not a religion, blah blah blah.." which i do agree with. this is the best way i've heard it put into words. he was saying something about religion just before he said this that contrasted with God and Christianity, which brought on the revelation that this quote explains. it's not something you do, it's the way things are. something you belong to. you don't have to be your father's son; you are father and son. you are family. ya know?

"I know God's got my back, and I've got His." -Jesse Duplantis

maybe this doesn't mean as much out of context. i just thought it was a good illustration of the two-way relationship that jesse has with God. they're tight, and it's not a one-way thing like so many Christians make it out to be, including myself sometimes. i treat God like He's so far away and doesn't need me for anything. which is true in a sense but i'm not interested in getting into semantics here.. the point is that i've got a part to play too. it's not a two-may mirror where God can see both sides and i can only see me.. it's supposed to be more like a window. ...maybe i just used that analogy because i watched a movie this afternoon and one of the scenes involved a two-way mirror in a dance studio... idk. it was a really cool scene. but the point remains. I trust God to take care of me, and He trusts me to be His ambassador. i wouldnt just stand by and laugh if someone talked crap about my best friend, and the same thing goes for my God. yeah.

class time...

<3

2 comments:

A poor white middle class soul said...

I'm glad that your mind is on God when you watch dance movies, then make Biblical parallels to a simple scene in them.

Unknown said...

i like both quotes, the "family" and "reality" parts especially