Friday, August 29, 2008

needs a bit more editing?

i think i might trim/rearrange/tweek these lyrics a bit more before i'm finished with them, but let me know what you think
i was listening to a song on the radio the other day, and the words were quite brilliant... the music was good too, but there was a lack of conviction in the performance that bothered me. like it was something that was huge to the guy at one point in time, but it had gotten dull, or maybe just lost some of the fervor, or the impact that it had when he wrote it out of that revelation. and i can't tell you how many times that happens with a song you sing over and over, or how hard it is to remember the hundredth time what it meant the first time. so i wrote a song about it. the jury's still out on this one though, so let me know what you think.

It was one of those times when I
was feeling so inspired
One of those times when I
was falling in love
One of those times when I
was lost in your eyes
and I swore
that I'd never let it go
Tell me when did my promise
become a memory
And why does my song feel like
just words I have to sing
when once upon a time
this dance was more than steps for my feet...

It was one of those times when
the world was on fire
and cities blazed to celebrate life
but somewhere in between
the passion and the recreation
I thought it was somehow about me
and i stopped hearing the dream
So tell me when did this moment
become just a minute
and when did these hearts become
a crowd for me to please
when once upon a time,
your voice and mine was all I'd ever need
(until I stopped hearing the dream)

I never want to stop feeling
Never want to stop meaning
Going through the motions
was never enough for me
I never want to act like I believe
(repeat)

I don't want to talk about you
forget about talking to you
I don't want to pretend to be real
I won't talk of when you found me
and forget about when I found you
I won't let go of what you do

yeah..... actually, i'm a little unsure about the melody on this one. i really like the way i hear it in my head, but at the same time, ihave to admit i had "This Is Me" from Disney's Camp Rock in my head a good portion of the time i was writing it sooooo... idk. i'm not sure i trust that :p

but yeah
i would love feedback, if you would deign to give it

<3

6 comments:

Unknown said...

this is one of those songs where the audience has to be at peace with God to be at peace with this song. which seems so fitting considering the context of the birth of this song. at unt all it is is playing for the sake of being a good player, which tears me up inside. the expression put into this song is tangible. seemingly bringing the singer to a reacreation of that moment when the passion came into being

that all sounded pretty cheesy, and you might say, how can you say that, you havent even sung it, much less heard it... but dude

its true that it does see mundane to sing songs over and over sometimes, but this song looks at me and says "im real, hear me" eh?

truly a passionate expression

and

dude i love it when the subtle rhyming is slightly off but not enough to make you notice

and overall i love the rhyme scheme

rhymes like this:

I never want to stop feeling it
Never want to stop meaning it
Going through the motions
was never enough for me

and as far as diction, wording, w/e

it's you holmes
very rebekahesque

take that how you want it

the way ive seen you express different passions

i love to see it fresh like this

if i had to pick a favorite verse

So tell me when did this moment
become just a minute
and when did these hearts become
a crowd for me to please
when once upon a time,
your voice and mine was all I'd ever need
(until I stopped hearing the dream)

A poor white middle class soul said...

Collin's comment was as long as your blog, so I didn't read it. Also, I didn't realize how often you blogged. I'm glad to find that there's someone else consistent! Collin gives better feedback on music than I ever could. When I looked at your last blog, I remembered that video-chat where I got to see young Elvises posted all over the walls.

Unknown said...

never say never london

Rebekah Michaele said...

...i dont think he did.... >_>

Unknown said...

he said the equivalent

A poor white middle class soul said...

I'm not very experienced in the realm of music yet, Collin. But I'm working my way up. I'm still never saying never.